Quick and easy vegan Pad Thai that you will be able to make in less than 30 minutes! This recipe is simple, flavorful, and loaded with healthy vegetables. Seriously the best!
Why you will love this recipe
This Pad Thai recipe is:
- Quick and Easy to make
- Meal prep-friendly
Ingredients to make this recipe
These are the ingredients that you will need to make this tasty Pad Thai:
- Rice noodles
- Extra-firm tofu
- Green onions
- Bean sprouts
- Olive oil
- Pad Thai sauce
How to make this recipe
Start by cooking the rice noodles according to package instructions. While the noodles are soaking, make the Pad Thai sauce, cut all the vegetables, and set them aside.
Heat a large wok over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. When hot, add the cubed tofu and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
Next, add more oil to the pan and stir-fry the garlic and onion for 2 minutes or until softened. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
Then, add the carrot, and saute for 3 minutes, frequently stirring to prevent burning. Next, add green onions, bean sprouts and saute for 2 minutes.
Add the tofu and noodles and mix with the vegetables. Finally, add the sauce, tossing continually. Serve in a plate or a bowl garnished with chopped coriander, lime juice, and peanuts.
Tips for making this recipe
- Prepare all the veggies ahead: Once you start the stir-frying process, this dish comes out very quickly, and if you take too long between steps, you might burn your ingredients. Please make sure the veggies are ready to go when you need to throw them into the wok.
- Use extra-firm tofu. Extra-firm tofu is the best because it holds its shape well, and it is great for cubing and frying.
- Use a large wok to get the best results: If you use a wok that is too small, it will be challenging to mix the vegetables with the noodles, and they won’t cook as quickly as if you were stir-frying them on a larger one.
- Add any types of veggies you like: Feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand if you don’t particularly like some of the veggies in this recipe.
- Rinse the rice noodles in cold water: Ensure you rinse the rice noodles in cold water after cooking according to the package instructions. This method will keep them loose and stop the cooking process.
How do you make Pad Thai sauce?
Pad Thai sauce contains fish sauce, tamarind paste, sugar, and vinegar. To turn this recipe vegan, we’ve slightly changed the ingredients without compromising its characteristic umami flavor.
To make a vegan Pad Thai sauce, you will need:
- Tamarind paste
- Water (or vegetable broth)
- Tamari (or soy sauce)
- Chilli sauce
What does pad in Pad Thai mean?
Pad Thai is a stir-fried rice noodle dish with loads of vegetables, and it’s probably the most popular dish in Thailand.
The word pad in Pad Thai means to stir-fry.
Inspired in the traditional version, this Pad Thai still has that authentic umami taste, and it’s healthier than takeout! Plus, it’s such a versatile recipe! If you don’t have any of these vegetables on hand or you want to change up a little, feel free to add any other veggies you like.
More noodle recipesPrint
This vegan Pad Thai recipe is healthy, gluten-free, easy to make, and so tasty! You will be able to make it in less than 30 minutes!
Pad Thai Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp water or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- chili sauce to taste (optional)
Pad Thai Ingredients
- 7 oz cooked rice noodles (200 g)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 9 oz extra-firm tofu, cubed (250 g)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped (100 g)
- 1 cup julienned carrots (150 g)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts (120 g)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- coriander, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts (optional)
- Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients into a bowl and set aside. Cut all the vegetables and set them aside.
- In a large wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat, and when hot, add the tofu cubes and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Next, add 2 tbsp of oil to the pan and cook the garlic and onion for 2 minutes or until softened. Stir constantly.
- Add the carrots and saute for 3 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning. Then, add the green onions and bean sprouts and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu and the noodles to the pan and mix with the vegetables.
- Add the sauce and combine everything.
- Serve immediately with lime juice, chopped coriander, or chopped peanuts on top.
Prepare the vegetables ahead to make sure they’re ready to go when you need to throw them into the wok.
Use extra-firm tofu. Extra-firm tofu is the best for cubing and frying.
Use a large wok to get the best results.
Feel free to use any veggies you have on hand if you don’t particularly like some of the ones in this recipe.
Rinse the rice noodles in cold water after cooking. It will keep them loose and stop the cooking process.
Keywords: vegan Pad Thai, tofu Pad Thai recipe