This delicious Chinese Chop Suey recipe is easy to make, full of different types of veggies, and tastes so yummy! You will be able to do it in less than 20 minutes, perfect for when you don't have a lot of time to cook!
Why you will love this recipe
This Chinese Chop Suey is:
- Vegan friendly
- Simple and easy to make
- Meal-prep friendly
- Gluten-free friendly
Ingredients to make this recipe
- Noodles or rice
- Green onions
- Bean sprouts
- Chinese cabbage
How to make this recipe
Start by cooking the rice or the noodles according to the package instructions. Mix the sauce ingredients into a bowl and prepare all the vegetables.
Then, heat a wok or a large skillet over medium-high heat with a little bit of oil.
Add the garlic, onion, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
Next, add the cabbage, bean sprouts, and green onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Finally, add the sauce, the noodles, and mix everything.
Tips for making this recipe
- Prepare your vegetables ahead, so they are ready to go before start stir-frying them: This dish is so quick to make! So make sure you have all the vegetables ready to go into the wok, so you don't burn them between steps.
- Make sure your wok is hot before start cooking: This way, veggies will cook faster and won't stick to your pan's bottom.
- Don't overcook the vegetables. The vegetables should be crispy, so make sure you stir fry them until they are tender but not so soft.
What is Chop Suey Sauce made of?
Chop Suey Sauce is known for its thick and gravy consistency. We've made a quick and straightforward Chop Suey Sauce for this recipe. The ingredients that you will need are:
- Soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free option)
- Sesame oil
- Vegetable broth (or water)
- Chili sauce
- Vegetarian oyster sauce (or dark soy sauce)
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
What is the difference between American Chop Suey and Chinese Chop Suey?
The difference between Chinese Chop Suey and American Chop Suey is that the Chinese one is an Asian-style cooking dish made of meat, eggs, and vegetables combined with a thick sauce and served with noodles or rice. The American Chop Suey has an Italian-style of cooking. American Chop Suey is made with pasta like macaroni, cooked with beef and vegetables in a tomato sauce.
More noodles recipes
If you tried this recipe, don't forget to tag me on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook. Also, if you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating star below! Thank you for your support!Print
Chinese Chop Suey
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Diet: Vegetarian
This Flavorful Chinese Chop Suey noodles recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes! It is healthy and versatile. You can add different types of vegetables according to what you have available in your kitchen!
Chop Suey Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water (240 ml)
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce or dark soy sauce
- sweet chili sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
Stir Fry Ingredients
- 7 oz noodles or spaghetti, cooked (200 g)
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup jullienned carrots (120 g)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (80 g)
- 1 cup chopped Chinese cabbage, separate stalks from leaves (80g)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions (60 g)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (60 g)
- First, cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Prepare all the vegetables. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a wok or a large pan on medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Next, add the garlic, onion, and sit-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, cabbage stalks, and mushrooms and stir-fry for more 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage leaves, green onions, and beans sprouts and saute for 2 minutes, often stir to prevent burning.
- Stir in the sauce and the noodles. Combine everything. Serve immediately.
Prepare your vegetables ahead, so they are ready to go before start stir-frying them. This dish is so quick to make! So make sure you have all the vegetables ready to go into the wok, so you don't burn them between steps.
Make sure your wok is hot before start cooking. This way, the veggies will cook faster and won't stick to your pan's bottom.
Don't overcook the vegetables. The vegetables should be crispy, so make sure you stir fry them until they are tender but not so soft.
Keywords: Chinese chop suey, chop suey recipe
Diane Logsdon says
Really good chop suey recipe! Reminded us of what our mother's used to make for us growing up, except without the meat! We will make this again and again!
Hi Diane! Thank you so much for the review! I'm so happy to know that you liked it 🙂