This kimchi fried rice recipe is simple, easy to make, and it’s ready in less than 20 minutes! It’s the perfect dish to cook when you need a quick dinner or if you have some leftover rice in your fridge.
You can serve this delicious dish with a fried egg on top or replace it with any plant-based protein.
What is kimchi fried rice?
Kimchi fried rice is a popular stir-fry rice dish from Korea. The main ingredients of this dish are rice and kimchi, but you can add other ingredients to this like chicken, eggs, or vegetables.
Kimchi is a fermented cabbage dish that is a staple in Korean cuisine. You can eat it on its own or mix it with rice and other vegetables as we did in this recipe. You can make kimchi at home or buy it at the supermarket. Kimchi has a prominent sour flavor because it is a fermented vegetable.
Ingredients for this recipe
Rice: Try to use a medium to long grain rice variety best for stir-fry like Basmati or Jasmin rice. You can use leftover rice, or if you don’t have a leftover, cook and allow to cool before adding to the pan to stir-fry.
Kimchi: The star of this dish! Kimchi adds the characteristic flavor of this recipe. If you’re using store-bought kimchi, remove it from the jar and chop it to a plate.
Kimchi juice: Don’t throw away the kimchi juice that comes along with kimchi. The juice will be great to add more flavor and loosen up the rice.
Sesame oil: Sesame oil is a favorite oil to make Asian-inspired dishes, and it adds a great flavor.
Tamari: Use tamari or soy sauce to season and enhance the umami taste.
Chili sauce or fresh chili: This is an optional ingredient. If you’re a fan of spicy food, feel free to add chili sauce to your taste.
Garlic: Garlic is always a great ingredient to start a stir-fry dish and a staple ingredient in the kitchen!
Green onions: Green onions are another staple of a kimchi fried rice dish. They add freshness and color to the plate.
Fried egg: The fried egg makes an excellent combination with kimchi fried rice, but this is an optional ingredient. If you’re a vegan or have an egg allergy, replace the egg with stir-fried tofu if you want to add some protein to this dish.
How to make this recipe
Use leftover rice or rinse the rice and cook according to package instructions. When cooked, transfer to a plate to cool down.
While the rice is cooking, chop the kimchi and reserve the kimchi juice.
Heat a large wok over medium to high heat and drizzle a little bit of olive oil.
Next, saute the garlic for two minutes or until softened.
Add the kimchi and stir-fry for a few minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
Next, fluff the rice with a fork and add to the wok. Mix to combine with the kimchi.
Then, add the kimchi juice and keep stirring to combine.
Finally, add the green onions, sesame oil, tamari, chili, and saute for one minute.
Serve with a fried egg on top and garnish with sesame seeds, chopped green onions, or chopped chives.
Tips for making this recipe
- Rinse the rice before cooking: This process will rinse off the excess starch and prevent the rice from sticking together while you’re stir-frying it.
- Prepare all the stir-fry ingredients ahead: This dish comes out very quickly once you start the stir-frying process. Make sure you have all the ingredients on hand so you don’t burn anything between steps.
- Use a large wok to get the best results: If you use a too small wok, it will be challenging to toss the juice with the rice and kimchi.
More Asian inspired recipesPrint
This Korean Kimchi Fried Rice recipe it’s easy to make for a quick weeknight dinner and a great way to use leftover rice!
- 1 cup basmati rice ( 180 g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 oz kimchi, chopped (250 g)
- 1/4 cup kimchi juice (60 ml)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- chilli sauce to taste (optional)
- 2 fried eggs (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- chopped chives (optional)
- Use leftover rice or rinse the rice and cook according to package instructions. When cooked, transfer to a plate to cool down.
- Heat a large wok over medium to high heat, drizzle a little bit of olive oil and saute the garlic for two minutes or until softened.
- Add the kimchi and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Next, fluff the rice with a fork and add to the wok. Mix to combine with the kimchi.
- Add the kimchi juice and stir to combine.
- Finally, add the green onions, sesame oil, tamari, chili, and saute for one minute.
- Serve with a fried egg on top and garnish with sesame seeds, chopped green onions, or chopped chives.
Rinse the rice before cooking to rinse off the excess starch and prevent the rice from sticking together while you’re stir-frying it.
Replace the egg for tofu to make this recipe vegan-friendly.
Use a large wok to get the best results!
Keywords: kimchi fried rice recipe, how to make kimchi fried rice