This watercress cake is vibrant, moist, and incredibly delicious! It's layered with a chocolate ganache and covered with a creamy frosting. It's the best green cake recipe you'll make, and no one will believe the main ingredient is watercress!
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sunflower oil (240 ml)
- 2 cups white sugar (360 g)
- 3.52 oz watercress, thick stems removed (100 g)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 g)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 2 and 1/2 cups almond milk (600 ml)
- 9 tbsp white sugar (125 g)
- 1 and 1/2 cups cocoa powder (125 g)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 cups and 4 tsp heavy whipping cream (500 ml)
- 1/4 cup condensed milk (60 ml)
- 3 tbsp dry milk powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and grease three-inch cake pans.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, and oil until creamy for about 5 minutes.
- Add the watercress into a measuring jug and blend with an immersion blender until smooth and liquid.
- Add the watercress and salt into the mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes.
- Then sift the flour and baking powder and gently combine with a spatula.
- Split the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Chocolate Ganache Instructions
- Into a saucepan, sift the cocoa powder, corn starch, sugar, and pour the almond milk.
- Whisk all the ingredients and heat the pan over low to medium heat.
- Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened and achieved a creamy consistency. This step may take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, pour the chocolate ganache into a bowl, cover the top with cling film and refrigerate for about 4 hours or until cold.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, whip the whipping cream for about 5 minutes until medium peaks form. Then add the condensed milk and powdered milk, and beat on medium speed for more 2 to 5 minutes or until the frosting thickens.
- Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator until assembling the cake.
Assemble Cake Instructions
- Place the first cake layer on a cake stand and top with half the ganache.
- Then add the second cake layer, repeat the same process, and top with the third cake layer.
- Spread the frosting on top and all around the sides using a spatula. Then using a cake scraper, smooth out the frosting on the sides of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with fresh herbs, edible flowers, or anything you like.
Don't overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter will make your cake dense and chewy.
Sift the dry ingredients: Sifting the dry ingredients will break up any lumps. Combine them evenly for a smooth batter.
Weight the ingredients: Weighting all the parts when baking is crucial for the best result.
Ensure the frosting ingredients are chilled: Refrigerate the heavy whipping cream and condensed milk for at least 8 hours before using. This will guarantee that you achieve the perfect consistency.
Make ahead: We suggest you prepare the cake the day before and finish it the next day. Bake the cake and make the chocolate ganache on the day before. Make the frosting, frost, and decorate the cake the next day.
Keywords: watercress green cake, green cake recipe, semi naked cake