This vegetarian moussaka is the perfect comfort food! This dish is layered with aubergine and lentils in a delicious tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. This recipe is excellent to make ahead and freezer-friendly.
- 2 aubergines, sliced (800 g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans peeled tomatoes
- 2 cans cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- mozzarella cheese (or vegan cheese)
- parmesan cheese
- fresh coriander (optional)
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Then, slice the aubergines, brush them with one tablespoon of olive oil, season with a pinch of salt, and grill in batches for 2 minutes on each side or until soft.
- Heat a cooking pot over medium heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. When hot, add the bay leaf, onion, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir often.
- Then, add the tomatoes, mix everything and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, salt, black pepper, dried oregano, dried coriander, and let it simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
- To assemble the moussaka, pour a bit of the lentil sauce on the bottom of a baking dish and spread. Then layer with the aubergine slices on top. Repeat this process until you have two layers of lentil sauce and two layers of aubergine slices.
- Finally, add the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and the cheese is melted. Serve garnished with chopped coriander.
Prepare ahead: Make this recipe one day earlier to save you time. Assemble the moussaka, cover the top of the baking dish with kitchen cling film, and store in the fridge.
Freeze up to a month: This moussaka recipe freezes very well. Divide into smaller portions in freezer containers and freeze to have something prepared for when you don’t feel like cooking.
Turn this recipe vegan: Use vegan cheese to make this recipe completely vegan.
Keywords: vegetarian moussaka, vegetable moussaka recipe