This shakshuka recipe is healthy, easy to make, and great to cook for any meal! Serve this traditional dish with slices of warm toasted bread or a green salad on the side.
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
- First of all, prepare all the vegetables and set them aside.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and drizzle some olive oil.
- When hot, add the garlic, onion, and chopped bell pepper. Sautee for about 5 minutes or until soft. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Then, add the chopped tomatoes, salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, and turmeric, stir and simmer on lower heat for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- When the mixture thickens, make wells and crack the eggs into each well.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until the eggs are just set.
- Add chopped coriander on top to garnish and serve immediately.
Use a large pan: Use a large pan to ensure you have room to poach all the eggs.
Don't wait too long: This dish is best when served warm! Ensure you have everything ready to eat right after you remove it from the stove.
Keep an eye on the eggs: Don't let the eggs cook for too long. Otherwise, they will overcook. The yolks can be runnier or mostly cooked through, you decide! Ensure you keep an eye on them and cook to your liking.
Keywords: shakshuka, shakshuka recipe