This pumpkin flan is gluten-free, dairy-free, and topped with caramel sauce! It’s a favorite fall dessert!
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce
- 1 can coconut condensed milk, at room temperature (490 g)
- soy milk, at room temperature (the same measure as the condensed milk can)
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Pour the caramel sauce into a steam pudding pan (one that has a lid and a hole in the middle) and spread the caramel sauce around the pan with the help of a silicone basting brush or a small spatula.
- Then, add the coconut condensed milk, soy milk, eggs, pumpkin puree, and spices into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the steam pudding pan in the center of a baking dish (with high sides to make a water bath), pour the flan mixture inside the steam pudding pan, and cover with the lid.
- Next, add boiling water into the baking pan until it reaches at least halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Place the baking pan very carefully inside the oven (use oven gloves and be careful not to burn yourself), and bake for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, carefully remove the pudding pan from the oven (without opening the lid) to a wire rack and let it cool down for 1 hour. Then, refrigerate overnight. Unmold after refrigerating overnight.
- To unmold, invert the pan into a large serving plate. Keep it in the fridge until serving. You can add more caramel sauce on top before serving.
Recipe variations: For a non-dairy-free version, you can replace the coconut condensed milk with regular condensed milk, and soy milk with whole milk.
Steam pudding pan: Ensure you use the right pan to make this recipe, the pan needs to have a hole in the middle and a lid to cover the top.
Don’t skip the water bath: That’s what makes flans silky and soft.
Bake at the suggested temperature: Steaming the flan at a higher temperature can make it flat or have a rubbery texture.
Make this recipe the day before: The flan must be refrigerated in the fridge overnight.
Keywords: pumpkin flan, pumpkin spice flan, pumpkin caramel flan