This pasta Alla Norma is an Italian-inspired vegetarian recipe with aubergine, tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, and basil leaves.
- 8 oz pasta (220 g)
- 2 aubergines, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato puree ( 240 ml)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- First of all, cut the eggplant into cubes, add it to a food strainer, season with salt, and let it drain for at least 5 minutes. The aubergine will release a bitter liquid.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat a large pan over medium to high heat. When hot, sauté the aubergine until soft and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil to the pan and sauté the garlic and a few basil leaves for 1 minute or until golden.
- Then, add the tomato puree and more basil leaves and cook for 5 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta, and eggplant, season with salt and black pepper and mix everything.
- Finally, add the parmesan on top, garnish with more basil leaves and serve immediately.
Don’t overcook the pasta: Pasta must be al dente! Keep an eye on it, and don’t let it get too soft.
If pasta is too dry: If you overcook the tomato sauce and your pasta ends up being too dry, add a little bit of the pasta cooking water, and voila, it will be creamy again!
Storage: Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Vegan version: Replace the parmesan cheese with vegan parmesan and regular pasta with vegan pasta.
Keywords: pasta alla norma, eggplant pasta, aubergine pasta