This one-pot sausage and rice recipe is an easy weeknight dinner recipe that is vegan-friendly, healthy, comforting, and delicious.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 oz sausage, cut into slices (250 g)
- 1 small bell pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 10 oz long grain white rice (300 g)
- vegetable stock (1 l)
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup peas (130 g)
- chopped coriander to garnish (optional)
- Heat a pan over medium heat with olive oil.
- When hot, add the garlic, onion, and bell pepper, and saute for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Then add the sliced sausage and saute for 2 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Next, add the tomato puree, paprika, turmeric, and soy sauce and stir to combine everything.
- Add the rice, stir, and add the boiled vegetable stock.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid, and cook for 4 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Next, add the peas, stir well, and cover again. Let it cook for 5 more minutes or until the rice is cooked. Keep an eye on it. The time of the rice cooking depends on each rice type. Open the lid occasionally and stir to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the rice is cooked, garnish with chopped coriander and serve!
Vegetable stock: Ensure you add boiled vegetable stock, so it doesn’t change the rice’s cooking time.
Sausage: For a more intense flavor, use smoked sausage. For a vegan version, use vegan sausage.
Rice cooking time: Rice cooking time depends on the rice brand/type you’re using. Check the package instructions for a more accurate cooking time and adjust when you add the peas, so they also have time to cook. You should add the peas halfway through cooking the rice.
Keywords: one-pot sausage and rice, sausage and rice recipe