This one-pot chicken and rice recipe is comforting, delicious, and a perfect weeknight meal for any family!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into large cubes (450 g)
- 1 small bell pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 10 oz long grain white rice (300 g)
- 4 cups + 1/4 cup chicken stock (1 l)
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup peas (130 g)
- chopped coriander to garnish (optional)
- Heat a pan over medium heat with olive oil.
- When hot, add the garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Then add the chicken and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Next, add the tomato puree, paprika, turmeric, and soy sauce and stir to combine everything.
- Add the rice, stir, and add the boiled chicken stock.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid and cook for 4 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Next, add the peas, stir well and cover again. Let it cook for 5 more minutes or until the rice is cooked. Keep an eye on it. The time of the rice cooking depends on each rice type. Open the lid occasionally and stir to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the rice is cooked, garnish with chopped coriander and serve!
Chicken stock: Ensure you add boiled vegetable stock, so it doesn’t change the rice’s cooking time.
Rice cooking time: Rice cooking time depends on the rice brand/type you’re using. You should add the peas halfway through cooking the rice. Check the package instructions for a more accurate cooking time and adjust to when you add the peas, so they also have time to cook.
Storage: Store leftovers in the fridge in an airthight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: one-pot chicken and rice, chicken and rice recipe