The traditional Portuguese dish inspires this one-skillet peas and eggs recipe. Serve with toasted bread, and everyone will love it! You can eat this dish for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chorizo, sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree ( 120 ml)
- 1lb 2oz of frozen peas (500 g)
- 1 1/2 cups boiled water ( 360 ml)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- sliced toasted bread to serve
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and drizzle the olive oil.
- When hot, add the garlic, onion, and bay leaf, and saute for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add the sliced chorizo and saute for 3 minutes.
- Then, add the tomato puree and stir to combine.
- Add the peas, water, salt, and black pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Make wells and crack the eggs into each well.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until the eggs are just set.
- Add chopped parsley on top to garnish, and serve immediately.
Use a large pan: Use a large pan to ensure you have room to poach all the eggs.
Don't wait too long: This dish is best when served warm! Ensure you have everything ready to eat right after you remove it from the stove.
Peas' cooking time: Peas cooking time depends on the brand/type you're using. Check the package instructions for a more accurate cooking time.
Keep an eye on the eggs: Don't let the eggs cook for too long. Otherwise, they will overcook. The yolks can be runnier or mostly cooked through, you decide! Ensure you keep an eye on them and cook to your liking.
Keywords: one-skillet peas and eggs, peas and eggs recipe