This mushroom risotto recipe is an excellent example of healthy comfort food! It's super creamy, delicious, easy to make, and a great weeknight dinner idea. There is a vegan option too!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (120 g)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups mushrooms, sliced or with different shapes (260 g)
- 1/8 cup white wine (30 ml)
- 1 and 1/3 cups arborio rice (300 g)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (1.2 l)
- 5 cups baby spinach (100 g)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese (15 g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- grated vegan parmesan or parmesan cheese to garnish (optional)
- Heat a cooking pot over medium heat and drizzle the olive oil. When hot, saute the garlic and the onion for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the wine and keep stirring for 1 minute or until the alcohol has evaporated.
- Add the arborio rice and mix with the other ingredients in the pot.
- Next, reduce the heat and pour a small portion of warmed vegetable stock into the pot. Keep stirring. Add a small part of vegetable stock at a time until evaporated after each addition. Repeat this process until the rice is cooked and the risotto achieves a creamy consistency. Don't forget to keep stirring during this step.
- Add the spinach leaves 5 minutes before adding the last amount of broth and combine with the risotto.
- Finally, add the parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to taste and combine everything. Serve garnished with vegan parmesan or grated parmesan cheese.
Don't rinse the arborio rice before cooking! The starch is essential to make risotto dishes super thick and creamy, so make sure you don't do it.
Using different types of mushrooms and cutting them into different shapes will add more texture to the dish.
Boil the vegetable stock right before using it, so everything cooks evenly.
If you add too much vegetable stock all at once, the rice will boil. Slowly add the broth to create a thick and creamy risotto.
White wine adds an extra flavor to this dish, and we suggest that you use it, but if you don't have it on hand, you can replace it with more vegetable broth.
Keywords: mushroom risotto, vegetarian mushroom risotto