This Japanese fluffy pancake recipe is so delicious and dairy-free! These pancakes are the softest ever!
- 1 tbsp soy milk, at room temperature (15 ml)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white sugar (25 g)
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (35 g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp water for cooking
- coconut oil, for greasing the pan
- First, mix 1/2 tsp of lemon juice with milk and set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Then in a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice until thickened and add the sugar gradually, from when the foam starts to form.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla extract, flour, baking powder, and milk.
- Add the egg whites to the pancake batter in four parts and carefully fold them until incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Pre-heat a large non-stick pan over low heat and grease with oil.
- Using a measuring cup or a spoon, scoop the batter into the pan to form round pancakes. Spread a tablespoon of water into the pan, cover the pan with a lid, and cook for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, repeat the process and scoop the same amount of batter on the top of each pancake, then add one tablespoon of water into the pan a cover for 2 more minutes.
- Then carefully flip the pancakes, add more water, cover the pan and cook for three more minutes. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Sift the dry ingredients to break up any lumps in the batter.
Don't overmix the batter to make sure you're pancakes end up with the perfect height and fluffiness.
Preheat the pan on the lowest setting to make sure the pancakes cook evenly.
Use the lowest setting option to cook the pancakes. This way, you will make sure they don't burn.
Keywords: Japanese fluffy pancakes, souffle pancakes