This hummus sandwich recipe is vegan and so easy to make. It's the perfect lunch idea for when you're on the go.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (400 g)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil (120 ml)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 slices of bread of your choice
- 1/4 cup chickpea hummus
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 handful sliced red onion
- 1 handful lettuce leaves
- sprouts (optional)
- Start with the hummus, add the chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To assemble the sandwich, layer both slices of bread with a generous amount of hummus. Then, layer the vegetables according to your preference on top of one bread slice. Finally, add the second piece of bread and cut it in half.
Add other vegetables of your choice: Hummus works with any vegetable. If you're not a fan of a particular one in this recipe, feel free to change to another veggie that you like.
Store the hummus in the fridge: Store the remaining hummus in the refrigerator for up to 2 days and use it to make more sandwiches or other recipes that call for a delicious chickpea hummus.
Use your favorite type of bread: We've used country loaf bread, but any bread will work with this recipe.
Keywords: hummus sandwich, chickpea hummus sandwich, vegan sandwich