These healthy baked apples are delicious and so easy to make! This recipe is a simple dessert idea.
- 6 large baking apples
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- vanilla ice cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and remove the cores of each apple. Don't cut all the way through. Leave the base intact to keep the filling in.
- Add the chopped nuts, maple syrup, and oats into a mixing bowl and combine everything.
- Place the apples in a baking dish, put a cinnamon stick in each apple's center, and then the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the apples are soft. Serve warm on its own or with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Be careful, don't leave the apples too long in the oven. They should be fork-tender when cooked. If they stay too much time in the oven, they will become mushy and fall apart.
Baking time varies according to the apples' size, our apples were big-sized, and they took approximately 30 minutes to cook. They should be fork soft when they're ready.
These baked apples can be customizable too! Add any ingredients you like to the filling to change it up a bit. You can add dried fruit, granola, dark chocolate chips, jam, or nut butter.
Keywords: baked apples, healthy baked apples