This chow mein noodle recipe is easy to make, and it’s combined with a simple chow mein sauce. Will be ready in 20 minutes!
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce or dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- Chili sauce to taste
Chow Mein Ingredients
- 7 oz egg, vegan or gluten-free noodles (200 g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup julienned carrots (120 g)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (80 g)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped bok choi
- 1/2 cup shredded white cabbage
- sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Into a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Prepare the noodles according to package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, cut the vegetables and set them aside.
- Heat a large wok over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the carrots and saute for 3 minutes.
- Then add green onions, cabbage, and mushrooms and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but crispy. Toss frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the noodles and combine them with the vegetables.
- Finally, add the sauce and toss to combine. Serve with sesame seeds or chopped green onions on top.
Ensure you prepare all the vegetables ahead, so they’re ready to go when you need to throw them into the wok.
Use a large wok to get the best results. If you use a wok that is too small, it won’t be easy to toss all the ingredients together, and your vegetables won’t cook as quickly as if you were stir-frying them on a larger one.
You can add any types of veggies. Feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand. Bell peppers or broccolis go very well with this recipe too.
Rinse the noodles in cold water. Make sure you rinse your noodles in cold water after cooking them. It will keep them loose and stop the cooking process.
Keywords: chow mein noodles, vegetarian noodles recipe