This Italian-inspired Caprese sandwich is vegetarian, easy to make, and perfect for an on-the-go lunch or a summer picnic.
- 2 bread slices
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1 small buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- 1 handful arugula
- 1 tomato, sliced
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- First, slice the bread in half lengthwise and prep all the ingredients.
- Then, toast each slice of bread for a crispy sandwich.
- Spread pesto on both bread slices. Place arugula, basil, tomatoes, mozzarella, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cut the sandwich in halves and serve!
Prevent Caprese mozzarella sandwich from being watery: Fresh mozzarella retains a lot of water. Instead of slicing the mozzarella and immediately adding it to the sandwich, set the slices on a paper or tea towel to absorb excess moisture.
Recipe variations: You can add thick balsamic glaze for extra flavor.
How to store for on the go: If you are preparing your Caprese sandwich to enjoy on the go or for a picnic, wrap it in plastic wrap and foil after assembling. Keep chilled until serving time.
Keywords: Caprese sandwich