This baked ziti recipe is easy to make, super cheesy, and comforting. It's perfect for eating on a cold winter day to warm you up!
- 14 oz ziti, cooked al dente (400 g)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- lean ground turkey (400 g)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (50 g)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (250 g)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- fresh oregano or basil to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F ( 180 C ) and cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large pan over medium heat, drizzle the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Then, add the ground turkey seasoned with a pinch o salt, and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Next, add the tomato puree, salt, black pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme, mix everything, and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain and add the pasta to the tomato and turkey mix. Stir gently until well combined.
- Mix the ricotta with the parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Into a baking tray, pour a layer of half of the pasta mix first, then half of the ricotta mix on top of the ziti. Repeat this process one more time.
- Add the mozzarella cheese on top and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. Garnish with fresh basil or fresh oregano and serve.
Don't overcook the pasta: Remember that the pasta will continue to cook in the oven, so don't overcook the pasta. It should be al dente.
Store leftovers: This dish will last in the fridge on an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Make ahead: If you would like to prep this baked ziti ahead, you can do it! Keep the baking tray covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 5 hours until it's time to bake.
Vegetarian version: For a vegetarian dish, replace the ground turkey with vegan mince.
Keywords: baked ziti, baked ziti recipe